I miss my Meme often and think about her almost daily. Meme was a great cook and usually made her meals from the cook book in her head. Some of her famous recipes included chicken and dumplings, stew, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, peanut brittle and other Christmas candy, fried chicken, fried okra, corn bread, just to name a few. Did I mention she was a good cook? Notice I didn't say a health conscience cook. I think her goal was to fill the belly and put a smile on your face, and she did just that! I made chicken and dumplings the other night and used a recipe from a cook book. My cousin, Tyler, asked if I used my Meme's recipe. I was almost ashamed that I hadn't.
Over the last year I have tried to use some of the resources my Meme left behind to bring joy to myself and others. Meme was very talented with sewing/quilting. I don't think she ever had any formal lessons, but she was gifted indeed. I remember enjoying outfits she would make us when we were young, not enjoying them so much as a teen, and then enjoying them again when she would construct pieces I requested in my college years. She had a storage cabinet of fabric and other totes of it stashed in places. I share my Meme's love of fabric and sewing. I will not dare say I am equally as talented, but I value that I am similar to her in this way. I have been fortunate enough to take ownership of some of her fabric treasure and such. When I need a release or have a crafting itch, I usually put these materials to work.
My friend, Amy, inspired me to begin making hair accessories for a local boutique she works for. I began doing this last spring and continued until I had Knox. I haven't had the extra time lately to continue, but I enjoyed it so much. Out of Meme's huge can of old buttons and the addition of other vintage jewelry and buttons, I made bobby pins. I named my little project Vintage Meme.
I have used bits of her fabric in appliques on baby and kid t-shirts for my children and as gifts along the way. My favorite throw pillows are some I made from her fabric. Most recently, I made my special niece, Brynne, an apron completely out of Meme's old fabric.
My hope is that each treasure passed on from Meme's inspiring is cherished as much as I cherish the memories of this great woman.
2 comments:
Awwww! I think you need to include pics! I want to see them all!
I still have the lavander dress she made me for your wedding.
Post a Comment